The Capability Maturity Model Integration® is an integrated set of best practices that enable businesses to improve the performance of their key business processes. At its heart, the CMMI model provides a clear roadmap for building, improving, and sustaining capability.
When an organization’s distinctive capabilities are clearly defined, everything and everyone within the organization begins to positively reinforce each other to improve performance. The business takes on new life as people now know about and focus on putting standard processes in place to strengthen their key capabilities.
CMMI provides guidance for applying these best practices in a business or organization, to ensure quality and timely solutions that delight customers and end-users. Every company or organization can benefit from improving performance and reducing risk. The CMMI provides a roadmap that guides improvement from ad hoc activities to disciplined and consistent processes for achieving business objectives related to performance, quality, cost, schedule and functionality.
CMMI helps a business understand its current level of capability and performance. If business needs and objectives are not being met, CMMI practices can guide improvement to elevate and optimize performance. Focusing primarily on business benefits and performance drives process improvement to better serve the needs of the business and ultimately, the customer. To accomplish this, the following are necessary:
- An effective and sustainable improvement program
- The focus of improvement needs to be on performance
- Executive management must visibly and actively support the effort to improve
The CMMI model is an organized collection of best practices for business and performance improvement. Best practices in the model focus on what needs to be done to improve performance, not how to do it. Successful adoption of the CMMI is dependent on each situation. One specific approach may not be successful in every situation. CMMI has been explicitly designed to be understandable, accessible, and flexible to a broad variety of businesses and work types.
CMMI V2.0 will help organizations that are focused on quality to:
- Apply a model of best practices that is easy to adopt and use in the most efficient way
- Integrate with other process approaches to make the overall organization operate more efficiently and effectively
- Focus on the quality vs. quantity of process management of practices
- Establish a practice for measuring the quality and capability of suppliers and vendors. CMMI
V2.0 is built with a focus on performance and continuous improvement, making it easy for organizations to:
- Benchmark their performance and ensure a high level of customer satisfaction – both are essential when competing for business.
- Conduct frequent performance measurements for assessing business impact over time.
- Use the built-in performance management that includes internal benchmarks for continuous improvement
- Follow a path to high maturity – the higher the CMMI maturity level achieved, the more predictably and consistently an organization performs.
It is important to understand the organization’s current performance level and the extent to which it aligns to the current business needs and objectives. If performance is not meeting business needs and objectives, then process improvement is used to raise performance to the needed level. Performance should be managed at all levels in the business and be a key driver for process change. Using CMMI provides many benefits such as a positive return on performance and process improvement investments meeting commitments that result in:
- More timely delivery
- Fewer last-minute crunches
- Enhanced cost control
- Increased quality of solutions
- More rapid response to issues and risks
- Fewer surprises
- High-quality solutions that meet customer needs and expectations
- Reduced customer complaints
- Reduced rework
- Lower employee turnover
- Increasing performance
- Industry-specific needs
- Multiple types of organizations or projects.
For enquiries, Please click here